The topic of maternal mortality in the United States is rapidly gaining attention from public health and clinical researchers, policymakers, and members of the media. Visit this section at least once every month to find updates in the field of maternal mortality as they become available from reputable sources.
Featured News Articles
- Pressey, S. M., & Pressey, B. (2018, March 26). Why Are So Many Women Dying From Pregnancy in D.C.? Retrieved April 06, 2018, from theatlantic.com [Link]
- Martin, N., & Fields, R. (2018, March 25). Here's One Issue Blue and Red States Agree On: Preventing Deaths of Expectant and New Mothers. Retrieved March 29, 2018, from propublica.org [Link]
- Martin, N., & Montagne, R. (2017, December 07). Black Mothers Keep Dying After Giving Birth. Shalon Irving's Story Explains Why. Retrieved December 11, 2017, from npr.org [Link]
- Howard, J. (2017, November 15). Childbirth is killing black women, and here's why. Retrieved November 27, 2017, from cnn.com [Link]
- Fields, R. (2017, November 15). New York City Launches Committee to Review Maternal Deaths. Retrieved November 27, 2017, from propublica.org [Link]
- Fields, R., & Sexton, J. (2017, October 23). How Many American Women Die From Causes Related to Pregnancy or Childbirth? No One Knows. Retrieved November 03, 2017, from propublica.org [Link].
- Merelli, A. (2017, October 29). US maternal mortality data are so bad, no one knows how many new moms die. Retrieved November 03, 2017, from qz.com [Link]
- Martin, A. G., & Martin, N. (2017, September 5). Another Thing Disappearing From Rural America: Maternal Care. Retrieved September 08, 2017, from propublica.org [Link]
- Why are more American women dying after childbirth? (2017, August 17). Retrieved August 29, 2017, Retrieved from pbs.org [Link]
- MARTIN, P. N., & Montagne, R. (2017, July 05). U.S. Hospitals Struggle To Protect Mothers When Childbirth Turns Deadly. Retrieved August 17, 2017, retrieved from npr.org [Link]
- Belluz, J. (2017, July 03). Black moms die in childbirth 3 times as often as white moms. Except in North Carolina. Retrieved July 11, 2017, retrieved from vox.com [Link]
- Canty, M. (2017, June 17). Health care linked to maternal mortality. Retrieved July 11, 2017, from dailypress.com [Link]
- Miller, E. (2017, May 31). We can’t really know what’s killing New Mexico’s mothers. Retrieved June 07, 2017, from www. sfreporter.com [Link]
- Martin, P. N., & Montagne, R. (2017, May 12). Focus On Infants During Childbirth Leaves U.S. Moms In Danger. Retrieved June 07, 2017 from npr.org [Link]
- Martin, P. N., & Montagne, R. (2017, May 12). The Last Person You’d Expect to Die in Childbirth. Retrieved June 07, 2017, from propublica.org [Link]
- Davis, N. L., Hoyert, D. L., Goodman, D. A., Hirai, A. H., & Callaghan, W. M. (2017). Contribution of maternal age and pregnancy checkbox on maternal mortality ratios in the United States, 1978–2012. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 217(3). [Link]
- Maswime, S. and Buchmann, E. (2017). A systematic review of maternal near miss and mortality due to postpartum hemorrhage. International Journal of Gynecology & Obstetrics, 137: 1–7.[Link]
- MacDorman, M.F., Declercq, E., Cabral, H., & Morton, C. (2016). Recent increases in the U.S. maternal mortality rate: disentangling trends from measurement issues. Obstetrics and Gynecology. 128(3), 447-55. [Link]
- Kassebaum, N.J., Barber, R.M., Bhutta, Z.A., Dandona, L., Gething, P.W., Hay, S.I.,…Murray, C.J. (2016). Global, regional, and national levels of maternal mortality, 1990-2015: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2015. Lancet. 388(10053), 1775-1812. [Link]
Events to Follow
- May 22, 2018 American College of Nurse and Midwives Annual Meeting- Maternal Health Crisis: Maternal Mortality in the U.S. 1:30-2:30 PM Savannah, GA.